5 Health Benefits of Eating with the Seasons Locally
If you walk into a supermarket, you will find it difficult to tell what is in season and what is not, as shelves look pretty much the same in November as they do in June. This is because global food distribution and modern food processing have made it possible for foods to be available year-round. However, there are many benefits to gain by eating local and seasonal food instead, as you will discover below.
Benefits of Eating Seasonal Food
- More environmentally friendly – One benefit that a lot of people overlook is the fact that seasonal food is a lot more environmentally friendly. This is because it has a shorter distance to travel and these foods often contain a lower amount of chemicals as well.
- Free of pesticides – When food is grown outside of its natural environment or out of season, it needs a lot of help, and this help will come in the form of preservatives, pesticides, chemicals, and waxes. This won’t be the case when you choose seasonal ingredients.
- Nutritious – One of the main reasons why we use seasonal food for our Hong Kong catering service is because it is more nutritious. When vegetables and fruits have had the chance to fully ripen before being picked, they contain more nutrients, and this helps you to maintain a healthier diet. For example, the redder a pepper becomes, the more beta-carotene it contains. In fact, it is believed that a fully ripe pepper has one and a half times more vitamin C and 11 times more beta-carotene.
- Tastier – Most people will also agree that seasonal ingredients taste a lot better; they are fragrant, juicy, and bursting with flavor. Again, this is because they have had the chance to fully ripen before they have been picked.
- Cost effective – You will find that seasonal food is a lot cheaper, and this is because the production process is more straightforward and does not require as many steps. If you opt for a catering service in Hong Kong that uses seasonal ingredients, you can expect the cost savings to be passed onto you.
How to do it?
- Spring – This is the time of the year when you need to focus on green, leafy vegetables, and thus your plate should be filled with the likes of romaine lettuce, spinach, and fresh basil.
- Summer – Summer is the season to stick with light, refreshing foods, which will help you to get through the hot months. This includes vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli and squash, and fruits including plums, pears, apples, and strawberries.
- Fall – Warming spices are ideal during the fall, for example, mustard seeds, peppercorns, and ginger. Popular vegetables include garlic, onions, carrots, and sweet potatoes.
- Winter – Warming foods are an essential in winter, including the likes of onion, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and squash.\
- Another option is to use our service. At Invisible Kitchen, our gourmet catering service in Hong Kong makes it possible for you to enjoy local and seasonal food without having to make all of the effort. Our ingredients are from clean sources, giving you the peace of mind that you will experience high quality food that tastes delicious and is better for your body.