10 Tips On How To Create Gourmet Food
There is no set of requirements to determine what constitutes as gourmet food and what doesn’t. Essentially, gourmet is an ideal, a level of refinery that is linked with the culinary arts of fine food and drink. The meals themselves tend to be quite rich and there is big emphasis on presentation. Cooking gourmet meals can take a considerable amount of time, which is why a gourmet food service is a great option. But, even if you take advantage of such a service, there are still some things you need to know. With that being said, read on to discover ten essential tips for cooking gourmet food.
1. Know your techniques – The first thing you need to do is make sure you know the basic techniques in regards to preparation and cooking. This incorporates the likes of slicing and cutting produce and meat. Don’t overcomplicate things; start with ingredients you are likely to use often. For example, learning how to cut and sauté an onion is a vital lesson.
2. Shopping and preparation – Jot down a list of everything you are going to need, from ingredients to equipment. It is important to be organized to make sure you do not end up forgetting anything. By simply forgetting one tool or ingredient, you can end up ruining the entire dish. Some food delivery services make this a lot easier for you, as they will provide you with the ingredients and then inform you of anything else you need.
3. Invest in good tools – Investing in some good tools does not mean you should buy every single utensil you can think of. Over time, you will be able to make more purchases based on what you need. But, to start with, you merely need the essentials. Acquiring these should not be too difficult, as you can find plenty of sets online. However, investing in quality is crucial. Cheap pots and pans can make your life difficult, as food will stick to the base and it can ruin the quality of the meal.
4. Take cooking lessons – This is one of the easiest ways to ensure you have the skills that are required to create delicious and aesthetically pleasing gourmet dishes. Not only will you learn the basics of cooking, but also you will feel more confident and you are likely to be more creative in your approach.
5. Use good quality ingredients – This point is imperative. You cannot expect to create a high quality meal if you do not invest in high quality ingredients. When buying the likes of fruit and vegetables, make sure they are ripe and that there are not any signs of mold or rot. In regards to seafood, fish, and meat, you also need to check that there are not any signs of ageing. It is always a good idea to buy your meat from a butchers whenever possible. Look at the expiry dates and make an effort to utilise as little processed food as you can.
6. Buy local, in-season, organic ingredients – This relates to the former point. If you want to benefit from the best quality ingredients, then you need to make sure they are local and in-season. If you are taking advantage of a gourmet meal delivery in HK, you need to discover where they source their food. There are many reasons why local, in-season ingredients are better. Firstly, they boast much more flavor, as they are picked at the right time and do not require any assistance in the form of pesticides and such like. They also do not need to travel a long distance either, which is better for the environment.
7. Get inspired – You will find plenty of inspiration to help you get started. This is especially the case when you consider the rise of social media and the increasing number of ‘foodie’ accounts. Instagram is a good place to start. You will find plenty of food-based posts on here, and the visual aspect of this social media platform really helps when gathering inspiration for new dishes. You will get some good examples regarding presentation and the meals themselves. Another option is to watch a few cooking programs. There are plenty of these on the television and it is always surprising to see some of the unique and unheard of creations that the chefs come up with. By watching these, you are likely to get a few ideas of your own.
8. Make time for cooking – If you rush cooking gourmet food, you won’t be happy with the results. This should not be viewed as a chore; cooking is something to be enjoyed. So, if you are going to cook something refined and fancy, give yourself a considerable amount of time to do so.
9. Choose recipes that are suitable for your skills – All you have to do is a quick browse on the Internet, and you will see that there are thousands and thousands of recipes to choose from. Don’t try to run before you can walk. Start off with something that is fairly easy and then gradually build yourself up once you get more confident. Don’t set yourself up for failure. It is better to cook a simple dish to perfection than to go for the wow factor but fail to execute it properly. Also, make sure you read ever recipe thoroughly before starting. There is nothing worse than getting everything ready to start cooking only to discover the words ‘chill overnight.’
10. Master presentation – They say that you taste food with your eyes. If something looks appealing on the plate, it can make a huge difference. There are some key things to bear in mind when it comes to the presentation of food. Firstly, it is all about balance. Of course, you want to create excitement with food and garnishes that contrast and offer a degree of variety. However, you don’t want this to go to the point where the combinations are jarring or awkward. So, don’t get too carried away. If the plate is too elaborate, it can appear a mess. Try opting for a variety of colours, i.e. two or three different colours, as this will create more interest. Moreover, to achieve a good balance you are going to need a variety of textures on your plate. Finally, make sure the portion size is right for the plate.
To conclude, if you take the points that have been mentioned into account, you will be creating delicious gourmet dishes in no time. However, you should never be disheartened if you don’t get it right the first time. Becoming a good cook is something that comes with a lot of practice. And, more often than not, the mistakes you make will still provide you with a great deal of tasty, fun and the opportunity to learn more about food.