How to host a dinner party in Hong Kong
Great food, great drink, and great conversation… what’s not to love about a dinner party? No matter whether it is your birthday, wedding anniversary, or you simply want to get everyone together to have some fun, a dinner party is a good option. However, as the host, you are going to need to do some careful planning beforehand to ensure the whole thing goes off without a hitch. But, don’t fret, as below we reveal how to host a dinner party, including everything from sending invites to sorting out dinner party catering.
Planning the dinner party
- Who are you going to invite? The first thing you need to do is decide who you are going to invite to the dinner party. Remember, you are going to be in charge of the event, so keep the guests at a number that is manageable. Also, make sure the crowd is one that will get along fine so that you don’t have any awkward moments.
- Determine when to host the party – Once you know who you are going to invite, the next step is determine when you are going to host the dinner party. It is always advisable to choose a Friday or Saturday, as most people will not have work the next day. If you host the dinner party on a weeknight, you may find that quite a few people cancel. Moreover, most will be wary about how much alcohol they drink or how long they stay out for, as they have to attend work in the morning.
- Send invitations – Now that you have worked out the ins and the outs of the dinner party, you should send invitations to everyone. Send the invitations several weeks in advance and ask everyone to RSVP so that you know how many people to cater for. If you are hosting a formal event, you may also want to include a dress code.
- Cleaning – It goes without saying that you are going to need to clean your house from top to bottom before you invite friends around. Set aside a day to do this. If you find that you have got too much to do, you can always enlist some friends or get the kids to help. Or, why not pay for a cleaning service if it is an extra special occasion?
- Table arrangements – It is a good idea to put a name card at each seat, rather than letting everyone choose their own seats. By doing this, you can make sure everyone is positioned in a way that will encourage interaction and conversation. Nevertheless, remember to be reasonable. If two people have come as a couple, don’t split them up and sit them with people they don’t know, as they are likely to feel awkward. Of course, if you know there is animosity between some people, or you fear they could simply clash, sit them at opposite ends.
- Food & drink – Next, you need to plan an elegant dinner party menu, which is arguably the most important aspect. Every aspect of the menu needs to be considered carefully to ensure all guests are impressed, including the presentation of every meal. In most cases, people will offer a three-course meal at a dinner party; although this is not something you are forced to do. When thinking of dinner party menu ideas, try to think of dishes that most people are going to like, i.e. don’t choose something that is an acquired taste. It is also a good idea to serve one fish dish and one meat dish, for example, prawns for starters and pork for the main course. If you do two fish dishes, you are going to be devastated if someone turns up who does not like seafood. You should also choose alcohol that matches the menu. For example, when serving fish, pair it with a delicate white wine.
Important party elements
- Drinks – It is important to make sure there is a varied selection of drinks to cater to all tastes. This includes soft drinks, wine, beer, and spirits. You may also want to create a signature cocktail for the dinner party. You can greet guests with this drink upon arrival. Champagne cocktails tend to go down a treat.
- Music – Choose dinner party music with care. You should go for something fairly popular and generic, as this will increase the chances of the guests enjoying it. Remember, you are not creating a playlist for yourself; you are doing it for everyone in attendance. You also need to make sure the music is at a level where it can be enjoyed, but it is not so loud whereby people are struggling to talk properly.
- Dinner – Of course, the dinner is the most important aspect of them all. Have you considered professional dinner party catering in Hong Kong? Why not have all of the hard work done for you so that you can focus on having a great time and socializing with your friends and family? Catering companies will also help you devise a menu that is just right for your guests and the type of event you are hosting.
- Finishing touches – The finishing touches can relate to anything from the food you serve to the way the table has been designed. It is these little extras that really make any event special. Wow people with your choice of table centerpiece. Let them indulge in a decadent dessert at the end of the night.
- Ambience – Finally, the ambience at a party is critical. You want all your guests to feel relaxed and at ease, and you want them to feel somewhat pampered too. All of the other tips that have been provided in this article go some way to generating the type of ambience you want your dinner party to have. For example, if you choose heavy metal music, it is not going to have a great impact on the atmosphere, is it? People aren’t going to be able to wind down or even hear what they are saying.
Invisible Kitchen’s tips
- Never provide too much alcohol and too little food – This is a recipe for disaster. You don’t want to get all of your friends drunk. This is why it is a good idea to serve the starter early, or you can even have canapés or bowls of nuts and other snacks laid out. Drinking alcohol on an empty stomach can cause people to get drunk extremely quickly.
- Make sure the house is clean – This is something that was touched on in the preparation section. The importance of cleaning your house beforehand cannot be ignored. You don’t want people to come to your home and think that you don’t take care of it.
- Don’t bother your neighbors – Last but not least, try not to bother your neighbors with loud music, especially if the party lasts until late. Once it gets to about 10-11 pm, it is a good time to turn down the music. This should not have a negative impact on the event. After all, you are hosting a dinner party and thus there is unlikely to be masses and masses of people there, meaning you won’t need the music on full blast.